Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Respect

There should be a certain respect between the student and the teacher. As a teacher/coach I have to have respect for all of my students. I believe it is my job to show each student that I care for them. I need to get to know each student as an individual. This is a lot of work, but it is work that needs to be done. Also, I need to try to get to know the parents of my students. This will give me an idea of where they come from and a better idea of their needs. I talked about discipline in my first post. I think that respect and discipline go hand in hand. If I have the respect of my student's then they will want to work for me and do their studies. I am the running backs coach at a local high school. My running backs played their heart out. I believe they did this because they did not want to disappoint me. We built a trusting relationship with each other. Both of us gave it are all every day in practice and for games.
Also, the students had to earn my respect. They did that by doing what I said and by working hard. I did give them a little incentive by taking them out to eat. We built a strong relationship with each other. They know that they can call me anytime and I will be there for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment